Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hall's Well for Captain Pete

Thick blonde mutton-chops, fifth-inning sprints to right-field, keeping score from the bench, and the occasional pinch-hitting appearance used to be synonymous with light-hearted Lions corner infielder Pete Hall.

The burly native of North Canton, Ohio was forced to change the perception of his coaches and teammates, and last season he may have done just that. In 10 pinch-hitting appearances and just two starts Hall finished the 2008 Emerson Lions campaign with four base hits in thirteen at-bats batting .308.

“Pete became a guy that, by the end of the season, we weren’t afraid to give at-bats to,” said Lions Head Coach David Hanley. “He’s been with us since I first got here, he was a freshman, and he’s never lost confidence when he wasn’t getting all the opportunities.”

For three years Hall was blocked at first base, the position he played almost exclusively since he was nine years old in North Canton Little League. Hulking lefty Brian Fennessey, who has twice represented the Lions on collegiate All-Conference teams, manned the right corner of the infield when he wasn’t putting up stellar numbers as a pitcher.

“It’s obviously nothing against Fenn, he was great, but I thought I should’ve been the guy when he was pitching,” said Hall about the lack of playing time.

The go-to guys for Hanley instead were Ken Gold and Kent Anderson. Gold, Class of 2008, joined the team and the College in 2007 touting himself as a lefty pitcher with heat and a power bat. In eleven at-bats mostly off the bench, Gold had zero hits for the 2008 Lions.

“Early on it was mostly Kenny Gold [who’d take over at First], but then I think we all realized he had misinformed us,” said club leader Kent Anderson. “As far as me, I would play anywhere coach told me to. We really had nine starters that would find a position to play, because our offense had struggled against good pitchers, and Coach thought he had no other choice.”

Anderson, also a recent graduate with a Bachelors degree in Print Journalism, sported a .411 batting-average in 2008, was moved from third base to centerfield in 2008, he also appeared in right-field, both corner infield spots, at first, and on the mound for Emerson.

“I think his reputation as a funny guy kind of cost him playing time. We were losing and it’s hard to laugh when you’re losing,” added Anderson on Hall lack of playing time.

“My friends on the team were all gone, and sitting on the bench was driving me crazy. I honestly think that if I didn’t take a lighter look at things I would’ve quit,” said Hall who had a sense of humor that some on the team never quite understood. He realized that and made some effort to shed that side of his baseball personality. “I found that once I started keeping to myself a bit more, and getting everyone to cheer in the dugout, I was looked at as more of a serious player.”
And perhaps it was no coincidence that Hall got more at-bats, and perhaps also that he was more successful than he had ever been in the Lions purple and black.

David Hanley seems to have bought some stock in Hall. In an E-Mail to the team, the Head Coach recently anointed Pete one of the three captains of the 2009 Emerson Baseball Lions.

“Honestly I did want the invisible “C” on my jersey,” jokes Hall, “I was worried that they’d go some other way, especially because I’m not going to be here in the Fall, but I am honestly very happy about that.”

Pete will miss the early fall workouts with the team, the TV/Video Major and Executive Director for Emerson College’s award-winning EIV Unsportsmanlike Conduct TV Show is headed to California for the school’s Los Angeles program.

While not thrilled about one of his captain missing the early workouts, Hanley though, doesn’t think Hall’s absence will hurt his progress too much.

“He worked three years for this, I think he deserves the opportunity to go [to LA]. I know that when he comes back he’ll take care of business and catch up. Over the years he has shown he is responsible.”

And Hall’s former teammates are thrilled that Pete appears to be getting his due.

Robinson Brown, Class of 2009, pitched for Lions in the team’s final season at Club level, he said, “Pete’s the nicest guy in the world, almost to a fault. I think it will work out. If he plays, he will lead by example.”

“Because of his age, and will to play, I think I always thought Pete would take over this team,” said Kent Anderson, a complement in high regard from an Emerson Athlete that was highly successful.

No comments: